Places to Eat
- RESTAURANT AT SAMLING, The Samling Hotel, Ambleside Road, Windermere, LA23 1LR – 015394 31922
An elegantly luxurious hotel, advantageously located above Windermere with extensive lake views south and west. Offering exceptional fine-dining and one of the world's best wine lists, delivered with discreetly attentive service.
- LAKE ROAD KITCHEN, Lake Road, Ambleside LA22 0AD – 015394 22012
Meats are roasted over fire and sourced from local farms. Expect to see PDO Herdwick lamb, dry aged Saddleback pork and 100 day aged Cumbrian Blue Grey beef. Seafood comes from Norway and Scotland, king crab, cod, halibut and hand dived Orkney scallops. (Closed Monday and Tuesdays, booking essential)
- THE OLD STAMP HOUSE, Church Street, Ambleside, LA22 0BU – 015394 32775
A unique ‘cellar’ dining restaurant with an excellent menu. It has a strong emphasis on using local seasonal produceand they have a true passion for cooking and have had very good reviews. (Closed Sunday & Monday, booking essential)
- FOREST SIDE, Keswick Road, Grasmere, Ambleside, LA22 9RN – 015394 35250
Fairy-tale gothic mansion, The Forest Side is the fulfilment of a romantic dream. Set in the magical Lake District landscape of Wordsworth’s beloved Grasmere. Delivering inspired modern cuisine, an unrivalled experience to excite and tantalise your tastebuds.
- HRiSHi at GILPIN HOTEL AND LAKE HOUSE, Crook Road, Windermere, LA23 3NE – 015394 88818
A Michelin Star and four AA rosettes. HRiSHi combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours – modern British cuisine with a twist.
- GILPIN SPICE at GILPIN HOTEL AND LAKE HOUSE, Crook Road, Windermere, LA23 3NE – 015394 88818
The laid-back ‘Gilpin Spice’ has an open kitchen serving tapas-style pan-Asian dishes inspired by countries along the spice trail – spanning the Philippines, the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan and China.
- THE FULLING MILL BAR AND BISTRO, Rydal Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AN – 015394 32137
- Using the freshest local produce from the Lakeland fells and farms and offering classic British and European dishes in a bistro environment. The restaurant occupies a cleverly restored Grade II listed building dating from the 15th Century.
- ZEFFIRELLIS, Compston Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AD (V) – 015394 33845
Ambleside’s most popular venue for food and entertainment offering an Italian inspired menu the restaurant is contemporary in feel with a modern look. Five cinema screens and a Jazz bar with live music most Friday and Saturday evenings from 8pm. (Open daily. Cinema and Dine packages available. Last orders 10pm).
- FELLINIS, Church Street, Ambleside, LA22 0BT (V) – 015394 32487
A sister restaurant to Zefferellis, Fellinis offers a new modern restaurant catering for the most discerning vegetarian palette with a distinct Mediterranean twist. Also boasts a state of the art cinema showing niche and arthouse films. (Open daily. Cinema and Dine packages available)
- DODDS RESTAURANT, Rydal Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AN – 015394 32134
Great place to enjoy an evening of relaxation with good food, fine wines and cool beers – from light salads and pasta or freshly baked pizzas to steaks and seafood.
- THE JUMBLE ROOM, Langdale Road, Grasmere LA22 9SU – 015394 35188
Take the very best ingredients, cook them with love and serve them with pride. Casual, honest, restorative and uncompromising in the pursuit of quality. (weekends only in winter)
- FRANCINES COFFEE HOUSE AND RESTAURANT 27 Main Road, Windermere LA23 1DX – 015394 44088
Relaxed and friendly bistro style restaurant with an a la carte menu and daily specials available with a great wine list. (closed Mondays)
- THE LAMPLIGHTER DINING ROOMS High Street Windermere LA23 1AF – 015394 43547
Serving home cooked local produce and specialising in fish and meat. Pop in for a snack at lunch, indulge in the Sunday Lunch experience or a full four course meal in the evening. A great selection of locally sourced and themed food and drink.
- AMBLESIDE TAVERN, Millans Park, Ambleside LA22 9AG - 015394 33306. Old-school British tavern with a stone facade featuring locally sourced meals & cask ales.
- THE GOLDEN RULE, Smithy Brow, Ambleside LA22 9AS - 015394 32257. Pork pies, Scotch eggs, nuts & crisps, the Golden Rule doesn’t bother too much with food, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of Ambleside’s favourite pubs.
- THE UNICORN, North Road, Ambleside LA22 9DT - 015394 33216. Enduring pub offering hearty British fare, a selection of house ales and live entertainment.
- THE WHITE LION, Market Place, Ambleside LA22 9DB - 015394 39901. A traditional pub with a comfortable and cosy atmosphere, serving classic pub-food, cask ales, premium gins and wines and an inviting real fire.
- THE ROYAL OAK, Main Street, Ambleside LA22 9BU - 015394 33382. Catch up over an expertly kept pint of cask ale, a G&T or a glass of Prosecco. If you’re feeling peckish tuck into a pizza, a fajita or one of the hearty pub classics.
- THE LILY, 12-14 Lake Road, Ambleside LA22 0AD - 015394 33175. Popular outpost for British dishes, cask ales with live music & comedy amid homely furnishings.
- Bar eS, 2 St.Mary's Lane, Ambleside, LA22 9DG - 015394 22282. A popular informal bar serving Mexican Tapas and Craft beer in a relaxed atmosphere.
- QUEENS HEAD, Town Head, Troutbeck LA23 1PW – 015394 32404. A former 17th century coaching inn, nestled on the side of the fells overlooking the Troutbeck valley. Delicious Cumbrian classics, served with flair and created with the finest seasonal produce.
- EAGLE AND CHILD INN, Kendal Road, Staveley LA8 9LP – 01539 821320. Tasty, freshly prepared food, a traditional country feel with slate floors, exposed beams and real log fires. The high standard of food is complemented by the cosy atmosphere.
- THE DRUNKEN DUCK, Barngates, Ambleside, LA22 0NG – 015394 36347. Commanding dramatic views over the Lakeland fells The Duck showcases an extensive range of local produce and draws water from the fells for all its beers brewed on site. Dinner is more formal than lunchtime. Excellent service and it has been family run for more than 30 years. Remember to ask about the legend of how the pub got its name. (Open daily).
- BRITTANIA INN, Elterwater (towards Chapel Stile/Great Langdale) LA22 9HP – 015394 37210. A traditional Lakeland pub set in the shadows of the Langdale fells. Good reputation for locally sourced food with daily changing chef’s specials. Quiet and well recommended, informal (bar) and formal (restaurant) dining available. (Open daily).
- THE ANGEL INN, Helm road, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3BU – 015394 44080. Using local seasonal produce a variety of dishes are prepared to suit all tastes. Variety of draught lagers, ciders and world wines by the glass. And a variety of local cask ales that change throughout the year.
- HOLE INT’ WALL, Robinson Place, Low Side, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3DH – 015394 43488. The oldest pub in Bowness – pub with charm and character – wide range of cask ales and great British home cooked food served all day.
- THE FLYING PIG, Rayrigg Road, Bowness LA23 3BZ – 015394 43332. Traditional British pub in the picturesque village of Bowness on Windermere. A stones throw away from the shores of Windermere, you’ll find a cosy, relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. Enjoy good quality, freshly made food, reasonably priced and an extensive range of local cask ales.
- ROYAL OAK INN, Brantfell Road, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3EG – 015394 43970. Family run inn, generous, reasonably priced pub food from baguettes to specials. Friendly, efficient service
- CAFÉ ITALIA, 37 Main Road, Windermere LA23 1DX – 015394 46228
Lively, casual corner cafe with patio seating offering Italian sandwiches, pastas & salads. (Closed Wednesdays, cash only)
- HOME GROUND, Main Rd, Windermere LA23 1DX – 015394 44863
Great café in Windermere which serves brunch and various other hearty meals until 3pm, great coffee and tea. All served in a neat and homely café.
- THE GADDUM, Brockhole on Windermere, Windermere LA23 1LJ – 015394 40250
Idyllic and relaxing, the best hand picked local ingredients, enjoy daytime dining in classically inspired surroundings. From a delicious lunch to a signature afternoon tea or an exquisite meal overlooking the lake. (booking essential)
- RYDAL HALL, Rydal, Ambleside, LA22 9LX – 015394 32050
Set in a stately 17th-century mansion on 34 acres of grounds, this modest Christian hotel is next to Rydal Mount & Gardens, former home of poet William Wordsworth
- APPLE PIE CAFÉ AND BAKERY, Rydal Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AN – 015394 33679
Great to dine in or takeaway. All the food is freshly prepared and have a wide range of cakes, homemade soups, baked potatoes, steak sandwiches, and open toasties to choose from. (Open daily).
- BALDRY’S, Red Lion Square, Grasmere, LA22 9SP – 015394 35301
A vintage style tearoom with delicious light lunches, loose leaf teas, fresh ground coffee and enormous home baked cakes. Well-known for their lemon meringue pie. (Open daily)
- CHESTERS BY THE RIVER, Skelwith Bridge, LA22 9NN – 015394 34711
A great stop off when walking to Elltermere. This tea room offers exciting, delicious and different food made from scratch every day. Lunch is available to eat in and take away. (Open daily).
- THE BLUEBIRD CAFÉ BY THE LAKE, Lake Road, Coniston, LA21 8AN – 015394 41649
Situated on the shores of Coniston Water, positioned in a unique and idyllic location and enjoying outstanding views from all the seating. Serving soups, sandwiches, homemade smoothies and some delicious cakes. (Open daily).
- THE BLUEBIRD CAFÉ ON THE BAY, Glebe Road, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3HJ 015394 43571
Situated within the Visitor Information Centre on the Glebe, sister to the café at Coniston, offering stunning views of Lake Windermere. Homemade cakes and freshly prepared hot drinks complimented by a selection of light bites, all to eat in or takeaway.
- TEA ROOM AT BLACKWELL, The Arts and Crafts House, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3JT – 015394 46139
The inviting tea room offers quality, locally sourced Cumbrian produce. There is plenty to choose from with a menu of freshly prepared lunches, delicious homemade cakes, alcoholic drinks, teas and coffees. Eat inside or out on the terrace during the summer.
- LOW SIZERGH BARN FARM SHOP AND CAFE, Sizergh, Kendal LA8 8AE – 01539 560426
Featuring homemade treats and a warm and friendly atmosphere. Set on a working farm, discover everyday staples and foodie finds in the 17th century barn farm shop, explore the craft and gift galleries, watch the cows being milked whilst sampling treats from the tearoom menu, or discover the farm trail through the beautiful countryside
- SIZERGH CAFÉ, Sizergh Castle, Sizergh, Kendal LA8 8DZ – 015395 60951
In the shadow of Sizergh Castle, the contemporary café is open seven days a week from 10am. With fresh, seasonal produce grown in the garden it’s easy to enjoy a taste of Sizergh when you visit. (National Trust)
- LEVENS KITCHEN, Levens Hall, Kendal LA8 0PD – 01539 560321
Fully licensed, the seasonally inspired menu uses locally sourced, high quality produce, including products grown on the estate and in the gardens of Levens Hall. (check opening times) A ‘Supper Club’ runs on certain dates (booking essential)
- BAHA BOWNESS, 18 Ash St, Bowness-on-Windermere, LA23 3EB – 01539 277515
A modern venue offering 3 unique floors where guests can experience the best in the area for food, drink and entertainment. (Closed Tuesday and Wednesday)
- THE EASY BREEZE, 5 Church Street, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3DG – 015394 88211
For a quirky lunch, light bite or hearty sharing board. Don’t be surprised to catch local musicians hanging out and playing the piano – fully licensed (open weekends only in winter)
- THE LILY, 12-14 Lake Rd, Ambleside LA22 0AD – 015394 33175
All of the local ales you can imagine and a great selection of wines and spirits. The Lily provides live music regularly including local talent, look at their website for upcoming events: www.thelilybar.co.uk
- ZEFFERELLIS, Compston Rd, Ambleside LA22 9DJ – 015394 33845
Zefferellis has it all, cinema, authentic pizzeria and an upstairs jazz bar. The music upstairs is booked on a regular basis and is set in a perfect atmosphere.