Places to Eat
- ZEFFIRELLIS, Compston Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AD (V) – 015394 33845
Ambleside’s most popular venue for food and entertainment offering an Italian inspired menu the restaurant is contemporary in feel with a modern look. Five cinema screens and a Jazz bar with live music most Friday and Saturday evenings from 8pm. (Open daily. Cinema and Dine packages available. Last orders 10pm).
- FELLINIS, Church Street, Ambleside, LA22 0BT (V) – 015394 32487
A sister restaurant to Zefferellis, Fellinis offers a new modern restaurant catering for the most discerning vegetarian palette with a distinct Mediterranean twist. Also boasts a state of the art cinema showing niche and arthouse films. (Open daily. Cinema and Dine packages available)
- DODDS RESTAURANT, Rydal Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AN – 015394 32134
Great place to enjoy an evening of relaxation with good food, fine wines and cool beers – from light salads and pasta or freshly baked pizzas to steaks and seafood.
- LAKE ROAD KITCHEN, Lake Road, Ambleside LA22 0AD – 015394 22012
Meats are roasted over fire and sourced from local farms. Expect to see PDO Herdwick lamb, dry aged Saddleback pork and 100 day aged Cumbrian Blue Grey beef. Seafood comes from Norway and Scotland, king crab, cod, halibut and hand dived Orkney scallops. (Closed Monday and Tuesdays, booking essential)
- THE OLD STAMP HOUSE, Church Street, Ambleside, LA22 0BU – 015394 32775
A unique ‘cellar’ dining restaurant with an excellent menu. It has a strong emphasis on using local seasonal produceand they have a true passion for cooking and have had very good reviews. (Closed Sunday & Monday, booking essential)
- SHEILA'S COTTAGE, The Slack, Ambleside, LA22 9DQ – 015394 33079
- a quaint cottage style licensed restaurant tucked away down a quiet lane, in the heart of Ambleside. Behind the traditional Lakeland slate exterior you will find cosy interior with an eclectic mix of original old features, complimented by modern lighting.
- Misto, Compston Road, Ambleside, LA22 9DJ – 015394 32035
- Serving Italian and Mediterranean dishes in a modern, yet convivial atmosphere. Oustanding reviews on tripadvisor offer up confidence in their approach.
- AMBLESIDE TAVERN, Millans Park, Ambleside LA22 9AG - 015394 33306. Old-school British tavern with a stone facade featuring locally sourced meals & cask ales.
- THE GOLDEN RULE, Smithy Brow, Ambleside LA22 9AS - 015394 32257. Pork pies, Scotch eggs, nuts & crisps, the Golden Rule doesn’t bother too much with food, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of Ambleside’s favourite pubs.
- THE UNICORN, North Road, Ambleside LA22 9DT - 015394 33216. Enduring pub offering hearty British fare, a selection of house ales and live entertainment.
- THE WHITE LION, Market Place, Ambleside LA22 9DB - 015394 39901. A traditional pub with a comfortable and cosy atmosphere, serving classic pub-food, cask ales, premium gins and wines and an inviting real fire.
- THE ROYAL OAK, Main Street, Ambleside LA22 9BU - 015394 33382. Catch up over an expertly kept pint of cask ale, a G&T or a glass of Prosecco. If you’re feeling peckish tuck into a pizza, a fajita or one of the hearty pub classics.
- THE LILY, 12-14 Lake Road, Ambleside LA22 0AD - 015394 33175. Popular outpost for British dishes, cask ales with live music & comedy amid homely furnishings.
- Bar eS, 2 St.Mary's Lane, Ambleside, LA22 9DG - 015394 22282. A popular informal bar serving Mexican Tapas and Craft beer in a relaxed atmosphere.
- QUEENS HEAD, Town Head, Troutbeck LA23 1PW – 015394 32404. A former 17th century coaching inn, nestled on the side of the fells overlooking the Troutbeck valley. Delicious Cumbrian classics, served with flair and created with the finest seasonal produce.
- EAGLE AND CHILD INN, Kendal Road, Staveley LA8 9LP – 01539 821320. Tasty, freshly prepared food, a traditional country feel with slate floors, exposed beams and real log fires. The high standard of food is complemented by the cosy atmosphere.
- THE DRUNKEN DUCK, Barngates, Ambleside, LA22 0NG – 015394 36347. Commanding dramatic views over the Lakeland fells The Duck showcases an extensive range of local produce and draws water from the fells for all its beers brewed on site. Dinner is more formal than lunchtime. Excellent service and it has been family run for more than 30 years. Remember to ask about the legend of how the pub got its name. (Open daily).
- BRITTANIA INN, Elterwater (towards Chapel Stile/Great Langdale) LA22 9HP – 015394 37210. A traditional Lakeland pub set in the shadows of the Langdale fells. Good reputation for locally sourced food with daily changing chef’s specials. Quiet and well recommended, informal (bar) and formal (restaurant) dining available. (Open daily).
- THE ANGEL INN, Helm road, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3BU – 015394 44080. Using local seasonal produce a variety of dishes are prepared to suit all tastes. Variety of draught lagers, ciders and world wines by the glass. And a variety of local cask ales that change throughout the year.
- HOLE INT’ WALL, Robinson Place, Low Side, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3DH – 015394 43488. The oldest pub in Bowness – pub with charm and character – wide range of cask ales and great British home cooked food served all day.
- THE FLYING FLEECE, Rydal Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AN – 015394 33384
- The Flying Fleece is a traditional family friendly Lakeland pub, offering fantastic seasonal food, made using only the finest freshest locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant occupies a cleverly restored Grade II listed building dating from the 15th Century.
- CAFÉ ITALIA, 37 Main Road, Windermere LA23 1DX – 015394 46228
Lively, casual corner cafe with patio seating offering Italian sandwiches, pastas & salads. (Closed Wednesdays, cash only)
- HOME GROUND, Main Rd, Windermere LA23 1DX – 015394 44863
Great café in Windermere which serves brunch and various other hearty meals until 3pm, great coffee and tea. All served in a neat and homely café.
- THE GADDUM, Brockhole on Windermere, Windermere LA23 1LJ – 015394 40250
Idyllic and relaxing, the best hand picked local ingredients, enjoy daytime dining in classically inspired surroundings. From a delicious lunch to a signature afternoon tea or an exquisite meal overlooking the lake. (booking essential)
- RYDAL HALL, Rydal, Ambleside, LA22 9LX – 015394 32050
Set in a stately 17th-century mansion on 34 acres of grounds, this modest Christian hotel is next to Rydal Mount & Gardens, former home of poet William Wordsworth
- APPLE PIE CAFÉ AND BAKERY, Rydal Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AN – 015394 33679
Great to dine in or takeaway. All the food is freshly prepared and have a wide range of cakes, homemade soups, baked potatoes, steak sandwiches, and open toasties to choose from. (Open daily).
- BALDRY’S, Red Lion Square, Grasmere, LA22 9SP – 015394 35301
A vintage style tearoom with delicious light lunches, loose leaf teas, fresh ground coffee and enormous home baked cakes. Well-known for their lemon meringue pie. (Open daily)
- CHESTERS BY THE RIVER, Skelwith Bridge, LA22 9NN – 015394 34711
A great stop off when walking to Elltermere. This tea room offers exciting, delicious and different food made from scratch every day. Lunch is available to eat in and take away. (Open daily).
- THE BLUEBIRD CAFÉ BY THE LAKE, Lake Road, Coniston, LA21 8AN – 015394 41649
Situated on the shores of Coniston Water, positioned in a unique and idyllic location and enjoying outstanding views from all the seating. Serving soups, sandwiches, homemade smoothies and some delicious cakes. (Open daily).
- THE BLUEBIRD CAFÉ ON THE BAY, Glebe Road, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3HJ 015394 43571
Situated within the Visitor Information Centre on the Glebe, sister to the café at Coniston, offering stunning views of Lake Windermere. Homemade cakes and freshly prepared hot drinks complimented by a selection of light bites, all to eat in or takeaway.
- TEA ROOM AT BLACKWELL, The Arts and Crafts House, Bowness on Windermere LA23 3JT – 015394 46139
The inviting tea room offers quality, locally sourced Cumbrian produce. There is plenty to choose from with a menu of freshly prepared lunches, delicious homemade cakes, alcoholic drinks, teas and coffees. Eat inside or out on the terrace during the summer.
- LOW SIZERGH BARN FARM SHOP AND CAFE, Sizergh, Kendal LA8 8AE – 01539 560426
Featuring homemade treats and a warm and friendly atmosphere. Set on a working farm, discover everyday staples and foodie finds in the 17th century barn farm shop, explore the craft and gift galleries, watch the cows being milked whilst sampling treats from the tearoom menu, or discover the farm trail through the beautiful countryside
- SIZERGH CAFÉ, Sizergh Castle, Sizergh, Kendal LA8 8DZ – 015395 60951
In the shadow of Sizergh Castle, the contemporary café is open seven days a week from 10am. With fresh, seasonal produce grown in the garden it’s easy to enjoy a taste of Sizergh when you visit. (National Trust)
- LEVENS KITCHEN, Levens Hall, Kendal LA8 0PD – 01539 560321
Fully licensed, the seasonally inspired menu uses locally sourced, high quality produce, including products grown on the estate and in the gardens of Levens Hall. (check opening times) A ‘Supper Club’ runs on certain dates (booking essential)
- THE FLYING FLEECE, Rydal Road, Ambleside, LA22 9AN – 015394 33384
Live outdoor music nights, with a great selection of food and ales available in this traditional type pub.
- THE LILY, 12-14 Lake Rd, Ambleside LA22 0AD – 015394 33175
All of the local ales you can imagine and a great selection of wines and spirits. The Lily provides live music regularly including local talent, look at their website for upcoming events: www.thelilybar.co.uk
- ZEFFIRELLIS, Compston Rd, Ambleside LA22 9DJ – 015394 33845
Zefferellis has it all, cinema, authentic pizzeria and an upstairs jazz bar. The music upstairs is booked on a regular basis and is set in a perfect atmosphere.